When air purity is critical, oil-free air compressors are the only option. Requiring no oil for lubrication, these machines utilize advanced materials and technologies to operate contaminant, moisture, and particulate-free.
How Oil-Free Air Compressors Work
Oil-free air compressors use specialized materials and technologies to eliminate the need for oil lubrication. Instead of oil, they use Teflon-coated pistons and cylinders, self-lubricating bearings, and other components designed to reduce friction and wear. Some oil-free compressors also incorporate water-cooling systems to regulate temperature and reduce the risk of overheating.
When air is drawn into an oil-free compressor, it passes through an inlet filter to remove dust and other contaminants. The air is then compressed by a series of pistons and cylinders, with the compressed air exiting through an outlet valve. Because there is no oil in the system, the compressed air is free of oil vapors and other impurities, making it suitable for applications that require clean, pure air.
Oil-Free Air Compressor Applications
Most manufacturing applications require a certain level of air purity. However, there are some where even the slightest contamination could cause equipment damage, product quality issues, and safety hazards. When air purity is essential, oil-free air compressors are the only solution.
A few of the industries we regularly partner with to deliver quality, oil-free compressed air are:
- Medical & pharmaceutical
- Food & beverage manufacturing
- High-tech manufacturing
- Textile manufacturing
Advantages of Oil-Free Air Compressors
Eliminating the use of oil in your compressed air system ensures the high air quality you need for your application. All in all, you can trust an oil-free air compressor to deliver the following benefits:
- Zero risk of oil contamination
- Clean, reliable source of air
- No need for air/oil separator elements or downstream filtration
- Reduced maintenance needs
- Reduced harmful emissionsSince oil-free air compressors don’t need regular oil changes or filter replacements, they generally require fewer working components and less maintenance. If you need a compressor that can provide exceptional air quality and reliability, our team can help you find the solution that best suits your facility’s needs.
Oil vs Oil-Free Air Compressors
|Unpure; oil contamination certain
|Pure: zero risk of oil contamination
|Higher; requires oil change and filter replacement
|Lower; no oil changes or filter replacements necessary
|Versatile; can operate in most conditions
|Sensitive; can be affected by extreme temperatures and humidity
|Varies, but generally less expensive
|Varies, but generally more expensive
|High; risk of oil spills, leaks, and air pollution
|Low; no risk of oil spills, leaks or air pollution
Sullair Oil-Free Air Compressors
West Michigan’s Only Authorized Sullair Distributor
As West Michigan’s only authorized Sullair distributor, we’re proud to offer you the most advanced oil-free air compressors on the market. From Sullair’s signature rotary screw compressor technology to both scroll and centrifugal air compressors, we provide a variety of oil-free air compressor options ranging from 2HP-4300HP. All compressors are stamped with the Sullair Oil-Free Seal, indicating that these compressors meet the ISO standard for Class O oil-free air.
We have an oil-free air compressor designed to power any application, from small shop needs to large pharmaceutical and food and beverage facilities. Here’s a look at just some of the Sullair oil-free air compressors we provide.
Sullar Oil-Free Scroll – SRL Series
2HP – 44HP | 5cfm – 120cfm
The Sullair SRL line of scroll compressors are powered by two scrolls — one orbiting and one fixed. Because scroll technology delivers continuous air movement, these air compressors are able to provide pulsation-free delivery of compressed air.
Sullair’s oil-free SLR series is reliable, efficient, and super quiet. Built on Hitachi engineering, the Sullair scroll compressor is simple to install and easy to maintain. The compressors are so quiet – some as low as 48 dBA – that they can be installed as point-of-use on the shop floor.
Sullair Oil-Free Scroll – SRL Series Features
- SRL Exclusive Scroll and Pump Design
- Patented scroll wrap design with labyrinth seal provides superior performance and reliability
- The proprietary tip seal reduces air leakage while extending service intervals.
- Two air inlets to reduce stress on the pump (5.5 kW pump only)
- Leads to tighter upper airband
- Extends life of pump
- Normal maintenance can be completed without disassembling the pump
- Integrated Design for Maximized User Benefits
- Highly efficient cooling
- Receiver tank dissipates heat while reducing compressor starts and stops
- Air pressures up to 145 psig
- Extremely quiet
- Full enclosure is standard
- Mechanical and electrical vibration isolation
- Designed to be placed at the point of air need
- Sound levels as low as 48 dB(A)
- Compact design reduces floor space needed
- Easy accessibility for inspection and maintenance
The SRL Series Comes Standard with the Following:
- TEFC motor
- Simplex or Multiplex scroll pumps (up to 6)
- Intake filter
- Discharge Stop Valve
- Vibration Isolating Pads
- SRL Series Controller
Sullair Oil-Free Rotary Screw – DSP Series
30HP – 300HP | 117cfm – 1300cfm
For applications that need both oil-free and continuous air, the Sullair DSP series of oil-free rotary screw compressors are the best choice. Ideal for air needs between 100 cfm-1300 cfm, the DSP line comes with either fixed or variable speed drives. Featuring Sullair’s legendary air end design, these compressors provide the very best in continuous and oil-free air, designed to optimize energy efficiency and your oil-free operation.
Sullair Oil-Free Rotary Screw – DSP Series Features
- Wye-Delta or VSD starter
- Phase monitor
- Altitude capable to 9,000 feed
- Oversized motor options available for peak usage needs
- Sullair’s legendary air end design
- Patented taper rotor design optimized for efficiency
- Patented PTFE-free rotary coating designed to maximize life
- Package designed to optimize energy efficiency
- Phase monitor
- Noise-reducing package
The DSP Series Come Standard with the Following:
- Industry-leading 3-year package warranty
- Hitachi two-stage air end with stainless steel rotors
- Hitachi TEFC main motor and cooling fan motor
- Patented Oil Mist Remover
- Patented High Pre-Cooler and After-cooler
- Motorized Discharge Isolation valve
Sullair Oil-Free Centrifugal – T and F Series
175HP – 4300HP | 550cfm – 11,750cfm
Sullair’s oil-free centrifugal air compressors are in a league of their own. Designed with efficient aerodynamics, non-contacting internal parts, and an exceptional cooling system, centrifugal air compressors can deliver large amounts of clean, reliable air, at virtually no maintenance costs. A simple design makes for simplified operation and maintenance, while also contributing to an exceptionally energy-efficient system that results in lower power consumption. Sullair’s oil-free centrifugal air compressors are ideal for the following applications:
Ideal for the Following Applications:
- Aerospace and high-technology manufacturing
- Heavy-duty manufacturing
- Food and beverage manufacturing
- Utilities and power generation
For Plants That Need Large Amounts of 100% Oil-Free Air
Centrifugal compressors are unmatched in the following ways:
- Energy Efficiency – Using up to 4 stages of compression with intercoolers, centrifugal compressors are absolutely the most efficient way to compress large amounts of air for a plant.
- Low Maintenance Costs – Centrifugal compressors have virtually no known life expectancy because internal parts are non-contacting and kept extremely cool. Maintenance is largely inspections and cleanings while overhauls or component replacements are rare.
- Class 0 Air Quality – As a bonus to efficiency and low maintenance costs, centrifugal compressors provide oil-free air.